The 109th Issue of the Chimes is currently un-themed. The theme announcement will be released later this year For submission reminders and event updates, follow us on Instagram @suthechimes.
~ The Chimes Editors
Submissions are open to all undergraduate students in the USA and abroad. Submissions must be in English.
Mission of magazine:
The Chimes, having been part of Shorter University’s history for over 130 years, holds to the values upheld by the University. We withhold the right to reject any pieces submitted for publication that do not fit with the University’s mission (“Transforming Lives Through Christ”); therefore, pieces that contain crude themes or language may be rejected. The Chimes accepts submissions from students, faculty, and alumni of Shorter University, as well as from undergraduate students enrolled at any college or university. All submissions must be original; plagiarism, whether accidental or purposeful, is unacceptable.
Please follow guidelines closely when submitting; failure to do so will disqualify your work from being reviewed for publication. Submissions received before November 25, 2023 will be considered for publication in the Spring 2024 issue.
- Do not include your name or any identifying information on your attached files, but only in the appropriate fields in the submission form below.
- Include a 50-100 word third-person bio in the field provided.
- You may submit work in multiple categories. Please send a separate submission for each category.
- Attach writing in word documents and art in jpeg files; include titles.
Writing Submission Guidelines:
-Send up to 10 poems, 12pt. Times New Roman, single spaced except for stanza breaks, no more than 40 lines per poem.
-We’re all for creativity in form, but unique line spacing or indents may not appear as intended in the final publication due to possible formatting issues.
-Short stories and flash fiction, 3 pieces max, 1,500 word max, 12pt. Times New Roman, double spaced.
-3 pieces max, 1,500 word max, 12pt. Times New Roman, double spaced.
Art Submission Guidelines:
– Send up to 10 photos (photography or photos of your visual art), attached in jpeg files.
Please send your work to Zack Strait (firstname.lastname@example.org) in Word Documents/jpeg files with all the information requested below. Thank you for your patience!